December Nights & Holiday Lights 2016Once again the beauty of the Holidays is captured in 1,000,000 lights across the Coastal Georgia Botanical Gardens. This 'Jewel in a Savannah Christmas' runs on 24 select evenings from Thanksgiving Friday to Christmas Eve. This leisurely self-guided walking tour -- best enjoyed on rain-free evenings -- is through the various illuminated garden areas.
In addition to the outdoor light displays -- included in your admission to December Nights and Holiday Lights -- are Storytime with Mrs. Claus on Thursdays at 7 pm. Visit with Santa Claus on Saturdays from 6:30 to 7:30 pm (Santa is not here on Dec. 24 for obvious travel reasons). The Coastal Rail Buffs return with their model railroad display under the cathedral ceiling in the Conference Center. An additional cost is required when buying various goodies at Mrs. Claus' Kitchen in the Annex for Holiday treats and beverages, brought to you by a variety of local non-profit groups, such as 4-H youth.
Here's a quick highlight list of features at this year's December Nights & Holiday Lights:
- Visit model trains running on an elevated track among sparkling lights and trees.
- Visit with Santa (Saturdays) or Mrs. Claus (Thursdays) by the big Christmas tree in the Great Hall of the Visitor Center.
- Live music performances on select evenings in the Great Hall.
- Purchase baked goods and beverages in Mrs. Claus' Kitchen. Wood-fired Bigbon Pizza will be available from their food truck on Wed., December 21 in the Gardens.
- Shop for hand-painted glass ornament keepsakes, botanical jewelry, t-shirts, garden books and other items in our Gift Shop.
- The White Garden glistening with snowflakes, stars, reindeer and white cherry-blossom trees.
- The Formal Garden aglow with thousands of white and gold lights.
- A 90-foot-long colorful light tunnel of arches.
- Colorful grape vines and orange trees in the Trustees Garden.
- Multicolored trees with millions of glittering LED sparkles along the 300-foot-long Crapemrytle Allee.
- The Mediterranean Garden illuminated in blue lights below white flowering trees.
- The historic timber bamboo grove populated by herds of twinkling reindeer.
- Starbursts around animated angels at the Redbud Patio.
- and other displays at the Orchid House, South Lawn, Accessible Garden, Rose Garden, Lord's holly tree, and Cottage Garden!
If you have further questions regarding aspects of December Nights & Holiday Lights, please contact us at (912) 921-5460. We post on Facebook with updates on performers, weather-related concerns and other information on this special event as well.
Be advised that the Coastal Georgia Botanical Gardens is a tobacco-free facility of the University of Georgia. Smoking, e-cigarettes (vaping) and chewing tobacco are prohibited both indoors and outdoors in the Gardens. Weapons are not permitted within the Gardens. Pets are prohibited. Only certified assistance dogs are allowed (please note that "comfort animals" do not meet the legal definition of assistance animals per Georgia law).